We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
The warm, moist, furry coat of your cat can provide a perfect residence for fleas. Fleas are the most common external parasite in cats, and the consequences of infestation can be very uncomfortable for most cats and may be the source of deadly disease as well.
Keep in mind that you might not see fleas on your cat since they’re hiding deep in the fur. Moreover, cats may swallow fleas while grooming. In severe infestations, it’s easy to spot fleas jumping on and off your cat’s body. In less obvious situations, you may notice that your cat is restless and doing more scratching. Excessive licking or grooming can also be a sign of flea infestation.
Do fleas harm cats?
Flea infestations often cause persistent scratching and over-grooming, which may result in bald patches on the coat. Cats may also develop a flea allergy with scabs and red, sore areas on their skin. Fleas also transmit tapeworms and other harmful bacteria.
Why is treating and preventing fleas so important?
Flea pupae are resistant to freezing, drying, insecticides and can lie dormant for many months. These pupae will develop to mature flea which will feed on your pet blood. The entire flea life cycle can be completed in as little as three weeks. One flea can lay up to 1000 eggs and feed enough of the host’s blood up to 15 times its own body weight every day. Flea and tick prevention keeps your cat healthy. Your cat won’t pick up tapeworms or have flea bites that cause itching misery and flea allergy dermatitis. Also, you can help prevent diseases that fleas and ticks carry such as Lyme disease, Ehrlichia, and tick paralysis.
What are some simple steps for treating fleas in your senior cat?
It is very important to treat all animals in the house with a licensed flea product for a minimum of 3-6 months. We offer oral and topical flea treatment for your cat. It is also important to treat the surrounding environment such as the house, bedding, car, and cottage. Wash bedding in hot water and place them in the dryer. Once you vacuum the house, ensure you throw the vacuum cleaner bag out.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Wednesday, March 18, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a "closed waiting room" policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive for your appointment of food/prescription pick up, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 204-489-9111. We will provide you with further instructions.
2. We are still scheduling all types of appointments but are prioritizing those for urgent or sick pets.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 am - 6:00 pm and Saturday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the clinic. Our staff will bring your order to your car. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the Online Store, visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
6. Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our jobs. We have taken these measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this disease.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
- Your dedicated team at Catrysse Veterinary Services